MRI showing herniated disc with severe stenosis. Pain in lower back. Suffered an injury. What can I do?

Spine Surgeon
My MRI shows herniated disc with severe stenosis I am literally in pain all day which is in my lower back Surgery is suggested after all other measures have failed. I am petrified of surgery is there anything that I can do naturally to alleviate the pain I am sixty six years old I suffered an injury on the job in 1991 what coa I do desperation
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
have you tried any spinal injection

Detailed Answer:
I understand your concern. However this condition usually comes in this age group. Initially I always treat with medicine and physical therapy. If you have day to day severe pain and hampering your daily routine then it needs some intervention. This is more a mechanical problem and there no such medicine which will reduce the pressure on the nerves and it will give you permanent relief. Definitive treatment option is surgical treatment.
Now if you are not prepared for this option then you can consider doing injection in the spine which will relieve the pain however it may be temporary but can be repeated if needed. Sometimes alternative medicine options such as acupressure yoga and pranayam may work which does not change the pathology but increases the pain tolerance level.
Hope I answered your doubts. Wishing you good health.Thanks