MRI showing fracture of neck vertebrae after a fall. Surgery suggested

Neurologist, Surgical
No history of previous illness
Age – 71 years approximate
Description of injury – He was trying to climb a ladder and the ladder fractured leading to fall from a height approx 5 feet.
Supporting documents – MRI images
First diagnosis – Fracture of neck vertebrae with suggested surgical management
Symptoms – Normal speech, hand and leg movements. No signs of mental impairment.

Posted Fri, 6 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 4 hours later

I have gone through the detailed history & all MRI images.

As per MRI images there appears to be a C5/6 fracture with mild dislocation with buckling of PLL with mild thecal compression.

As per your history patient seems to be neurologically intact.

May I suggest following measures:

1. Initial medical management of cervical injury should be given i.e. I/v methylprednisolone, antacids, analgesics, etc.

2. Cervical collar for initial immobilization.

4. Bed rest

5. Surgical management with spinal stabilisation procedures will be of benefit for early mobilisation

6. Supportive treatment

I hope this answers your queries. Please feel free to contact me anytime for any further development.

Dr XXXXXXX k XXXXXXX XXXXXXX consultant neurosurgeon