MRI showed tumor in soleus muscle. Had pain in calf. Chances of sarcoma?

Diabetologist
Question
Hello.
We found out this weekend that my girlfriend has a tumor in her soleus muscle. This was found after she did a MRI scan. She had the pain in her calf for almost 10 years and she finally went to the doctors about this. She is 28 years old. What are the chances that it is a sarcoma?
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Benign tumour is likely.

Detailed Answer:

My bet is on benign condition and not cancerous.

Sarcoma is malignant lesion of the muscle and it a fast growing lesion with poor prognosis. In the case of your girl friend as the history of pain is for 10 years and there is no obvious swelling of the region makes sarcoma less likely.

MRI findings can also provide clues about the type of tumour - If the lesion in the MRI is well encapsulated and has not invaded the bone, then sarcoma is less likely.

That being said, you will need to press for biopsy and histopathological studies for confirmation about the type of tumour.

Hope the answer helps you. Pleased to answer other queries.

Follow-up: MRI showed tumor in soleus muscle. Had pain in calf. Chances of sarcoma? 14 hours later
I attached the MRI reports. please let me know if you can get me more informaiton form looking at these.

thank you again so much for you help.

Brief Answer:
Localised lesion with fatty changes

Detailed Answer:

It is a localised lesion measuring rought to the size of a grape.
fatty changes are seen above and below the swelling. This may be due to the pressure effect.

MRI findings are more in favour of Localized benign lesion.

Since they have not given any differential diagnosis for the swelling and advised further testing to rule out cancer(Neoplasm) it is better to go for a biopsy of the lesion.

Follow-up: MRI showed tumor in soleus muscle. Had pain in calf. Chances of sarcoma? 53 minutes later
So it is not cancerous in your opinion? That is all that worries me. Why did you say it favours more benign? you also say lesion not tumor... is it not a tumor. sorry i should google that but im just excited to hear your answer.
We are also thinking about what type of biopsy we should do. Do you think a needle biopsy would be ok or should we do the surgical biopsy. thank you again.

Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Duration, size and well demarkated.

Detailed Answer:

The following are my reasons to favour a benign condition and not cancer.
- Duration of more than 10 years indicates it a slow growing tumour.
- Secondly the size is small and the tumour is well differentiated from the adjacent structures in the MRI.
- It is not invading the neighboring structures.
- Physical condition of the patient is good.

Lesion is any abnormal structure in the body; this includes tumour.

FNAC(Fine needle aspiration cytology) will give you a clue whether the tumour is malignant or benign. The scope of definitive diagnosis is limited. Surgical biopsy is more conclusive. But the decision about the type of biopsy rests in the hands of the treating doctor who is well aware of the condition as a whole.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.
If all your questions are addressed please close this discussion.

Follow-up: MRI showed tumor in soleus muscle. Had pain in calf. Chances of sarcoma? 36 hours later
Thank you so much for your help Doctor Ahamed. I will print this out and share it with the doctor.

All the best!

Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for the good response.

Detailed Answer:
You're most welcome.