MRI showed tear in the deltoid ligament of ankle. What are the findings and treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
i swas just diagnosed from an mri that i have a tear in the deltoid ligament of my ankle? What is the laymans terms and previously I was operaterated on the same foot 8 yrs ago fractured so you think from time being until i see a doctor a boot that i wore before would be good for ,e?
MRI ANKLE/HEEL/WPO IV CONTRAST 0000
TECHNIQUES : AXIAL, CORONAL, AND SAGITTAL OF THE RIGHT ANKLE WERE OBTIANED ON 1.5 TESLA MAGNET

CONTRAST NONE
COMPARISION RIGHT ANKEL RADIOGRAPHS FROM 05/13/06
FINDINGS
ALIGNMENTS: NORMAL
FLUID : NORMAL
MEDICAL
MEDICAL MALLEOLOUS NORMAL
TENDON
POSTERIOR TIBIALIS NORMAL
FLEXOR DIGITORUM NORMAL
FLEXOR HALLUCIS LONGUS NORMAL
LIGAMENTS
DELTOID LIAGMENT COMPLEX XXXXXXX NOT WELL VISISUALIZED AND LIKELY TORN
SPING PLANATAR CALCANEO NAVICULAR INTACT
LATERAL
LATERAL MALLEOUS NORMAL
TENDOMS PERUNEUS LONGUS NORMAL
PERONEUS BREVIS NORMAL
LIGAGMENTS
ANTERIOR INFERIROR TIBIOFIBULAR INTACT
[PSTERORIOR INFEREIRIOR TIBIFIBULAR INTACT
ANTERIOR TALOFIBUIAR INTACT
CALCANEOFIBULAR INTACT
POSTEIROR TALOFIBULAR INTACT
POSTERIOR
POSTERIOR TALUS NORMAL
ACHILLES TENDON NORMAL
PLANTAR FASCIA NORMAL
ANTERIOR
TENDONS
ANTERIOR TIBIALIAS NORMAL
EXTERIOR DIGITORUM LONGUS NORMAL
SUBTALAR NORMAL
TARSAL TUNNEL NORMAL
BONES OTHER THAN SUBARTICULAR MARROW?THE SIDEPATH WITH SCREWS NOTED ON THE LATERAL MARGIN OF THE DISTAL FIBULA ON THE PRIOR RADIOGRAPHSS IS NO LONGER PRESENT. SYDESMONTIC SCREW TRACT WITH THE DISTAL TIBIAL AND FIBULKA. INCIDIENT NOTE IS MADE OF CORNUATE NAVICULAR BONE.\
MSUCLE NORMAL
IMPRESSION
TEARS OF THE DEEP FIBERS OF THE DELTOID LIGAMENT LIKELY TO CAUSE CHRONIC PAINL
CAN I ASK HOW WILL THIS TAKE. I KNOW I WORTE A LOT AND THAT WAS THE MRI READING W/O CONTRAST.
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 hours later

I am Dr XXXXXXX Gandhi, I am orthopaedic surgeon and I have studied your case.

MRI finding shows there is tear in deep fibres of deltoid ligament. As per your history you had ankle injury 8 years ago for which you were operated, but I think deltoid ligament injury which occurred that time has persisted and may have given you diffuse pain in your ankle.

As you are having pain in your ankle now, I will suggest you to go for repair of deltoid ligament surgically. Boot is recommended for grade I tear only.

Repair of deep posterior tibio XXXXXXX and deep anterior tibio XXXXXXX will improve ankle stability and decrease pain. However since its 8 year old history you need to consider arthritis of ankle joint too.

Some surgeons operate only when torn portion of deltoid ligament has entered joint & is blocking reduction of talus. You can discuss about these with your treating doctor.

Hope this answer your query.