MRI showed subchondral fracture and moderate joint effusion. Having pain in movement. How to cure it?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My MRI showed "nondisplaced subchondral fracture of medial femoral condylar w extensive subchondral edema" and "moderate volume joint effusion"
Pls explain (my doc was little help)
Lots of pain w any movement
Best I can do? Rest ice and ibuprofen
Cortisone shot?
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The non displaced subchondral fracture is a minor degree of bone crack in the lower end of femur. The swelling and joint effusion that you have are likely to subside with adequate rest. You need to avoid weight bearing on the leg. Using a knee brace will be of help.
In addition to rest, ice and pain killers, you can keep the leg elevated on two pillows while resting.
In case the joint effusion persists after two weeks then surgical drainage or aspiration may have to be considered. It is likely to recover in 3-4 weeks.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: MRI showed subchondral fracture and moderate joint effusion. Having pain in movement. How to cure it? 24 minutes later
Crutch vs. cane?
Ibuprofen vs Advil?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 44 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Cortisone is more useful in mild effusion with inflammatory changes. In traumatic effusion, aspiration may be needed.
Using a crutch is better than cane. But it is best to wear a knee brace and avopid weight bearing for at least two weeks.
Both advil or ibuprofen will help. It depends on the degree of pain you are having. You can try ibuprofen first.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.