MRI showed spinal disc herniation with nerve root compression in the spine. Meaning?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My Mother-in-law's MRI study shows:
partial sacralization of l5 on left side
l3-l4 mild annular disc bulge with bilateral posterolateral end plate ostephytes indenting ventral thecal sac and narrowing neural forminae
l4-l5 diffuse disc bulge with end plate ostephytes indenting ventral thecal sac and narrowing neural forminae and abutting th exiting nerve roots
l5s1 broad posterior disc protusion with annular tear indenting on ventral thecal sac
mild facetal arthropathy at l4l5 and l5s1
Should we consult am ortho or neauro surgeon?
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The MRI report is suggestive of spinal disc herniation with nerve root compression in the spine. The spinal disc herniation is also called slipped disc- it is a condition affecting the spine, in which a tear in the outer, fibrous ring of an intervertebral disc allows the soft, central portion to buldge out.
The main treatment of such pain is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with the symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic.
She can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from an Orthopedician or a spine surgeon after examination.
Meanwhile she can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, she needs bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under the knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.
- Avoid exercises in times of pain.
- Improvise the posture while sitting.
- Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: MRI showed spinal disc herniation with nerve root compression in the spine. Meaning? 43 minutes later
Doctor,

She also has severe pain in the tail bone area and cannot sit longer than 15-20 minutes at a time. She finds it difficult to go about her daily routine. Is the pain in tail bone area a consequence of the spinal disc issues?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 30 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Yes, the pain in the tail bone is likely to be related to the nerve compression caused by the prolapsed disc.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.