MRI showed scattered areas in the white matter. Meaning?

Nov 2013

I am trying to help my father understand these sentences in an MRI that he had done. He is 84 years old. "Scattered areas of T2 prolongation are noted in the white matter of the right and left cerebral hemispheres. There is encephalomalacia in the right XXXXXXX central region and radiata consistent with an old small be central infarct. The ventricles and sulci are within normal limits in size for the patient's age. No abnormal areas of restricted diffusion are noted. The major vessels at the base of the brain are intact XXXXXXX Before I submit this question I am going to add a bit more. The prior paragraph says, regarding a mengiogenoma, "Since the prior exam, there is been mild increase in size of the enhancing extra-axial mass involving the anterolateral aspect of the left middle fossa and the sphenoid wing, best seen on axial images 13 through 17 of series 8. The mass measures 8.3 x 16.4 x 22.5 mm. It demonstrates a dural tail XXXXXXX My father had heart surgery, bypass and new heart valve last February, and is struggling with depression, anxiety, dizziness. Could any of the things referred to in the above MRI account for his dizziness? I put this in the category of "brain tumor" but I am not sure if mengiogenoma is considered a brain tumor.
Posted Tue, 25 Dec 2012 in Brain Tumor
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Meningioma is indeed a brain tumor. It is a benign tumor, which increases very slowly in size. The only treatment for this tumor is an operation. Operation is required, if the tumor is large and is pressing on vital structures of brain. Also, the benefit of surgery has to be weighed against the risks of surgery and anesthesia (in view of his age and comorbid medical problems).

The first part of the report above are suggestive of small infarcts- decreased blood flow to brain (which are of little clinical significance). So, no action is required for that.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist