MRI showed presence of multiple myometrial cysts. What treatment should be done?

I had an MRI which revealed the presence of multiple myometrial cysts. I was given a referral to GYN. What should I expect in regards to further diagnostics and treatment? Thank you
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 21 minutes later
Thanks for your query on health care magic.

Multiple myometrial cysts on MRI suggests adenomyosis.
Adenomyosis occurs when endometrial tissue grows into the muscular wall of the uterus.
MRI is gold standard in diagnosis of Adenomyosis. However, your doctor may perform physical examination to detect tender uterus. Transvaginal sonography helps in assessing endometrial thickness and associated pathology.

Treatment depends on the severity of symptoms.
Mere presence of Adenomyosis on MRI without symptoms does not require treatment.
Moreover, Adenomyosis usually goes away after menopause. So treatment may depend on how close you are to that stage of life.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to help if you have more questions.

Dr Nilofer
Follow-up: MRI showed presence of multiple myometrial cysts. What treatment should be done? 17 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Nilofer for your prompt reply. My symptoms have been fairly mild since the ablation 2 years ago in terms of bleeding. I do however continue to have frequent pelvic pain and discomfort. I had a CT done a couple of months ago d/t a back injury and the cysts and were an incidental finding. From that report, an abdominal and transvaginal ultrasound was performed, this is when it was recommended I had the MRI.
As mentioned in my initial email, I have a referral with GYN for next week, and I would like to be prepared with appropriate questions as I know my time in the doctor's office will be limited. With my hx of breast CA, I rather not take any chances. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up question.

History of breast cancer is usually associated with increased endometrial thickness of uterus.
You can discuss with your doctor the needs/benefits of endometrial biopsy.
You can also discuss the advantages of medical line of treatment against hysterectomy for Adenomyosis.
Mere presence of multiple cyst with mild symptoms does not indicate for surgical treatment.
Adenomyosis is a benign condition and not a cancerous condition. Therefore you need not worry.
Hope this helps.
Dr Nilofer