MRI showed posterocentral disc protrusion indenting the thecal sac. Required treatment?

Question
Hi. MRI results just came back reporting that there is Posterocentral disc protrusion indenting the thecal sac and contacting bilateral traversing L5 root, no stenosis. Is this very serious and what types of treatment are involved?
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 11 minutes later
HI
Thanks for the query

This is serious but not as much serious to be panic of. The stenosis would be much more serious condition in which case the treatment would be surgery.

The treatment options available for this type of lumbago is anti inflammatory drugs along some other drugs like vitamin B complex and neurotransmitter blockers. physiotherapy and lumbar support but if the pain is worsening or the neurological deficits develop like continuous numbness, parasthesia or loss of sensation and pains the option left would be surgery called leminectomy.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Thanks

Follow-up: MRI showed posterocentral disc protrusion indenting the thecal sac. Required treatment? 20 minutes later
Thank you very much Dr for your prompt reply. I would also like to know, considering my history of PCOS and it is my belief that this condition aggravates my back problems and i can say this because since this situation has occurred, i can actually feel the pressure of my womb more pronounced. Is it recommendable if all other solutions fail, that I should consider getting my womb removed?

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 8 hours later
Thanks for the reply

The back pain associated do not have as such association with PCOs however, during menstruation it is caused due to anemia and generalized weakness. so, i don't think so that you should be think of removing womb. Back pain nowadays is a common problem and we receive too many patients with such complaints and mostly get cured. so hope for the best

Thanks