MRI showed possibility of vertebra swelling. Causing nerve pinching. Having back pain. Suggestions?

Spine Surgeon
Hello, I've lost some functionality in my left hand (cannot fully open thumb & forefinger) and an MRI has shown a possibility of vertebra swelling due to age (60) at T7 I'm told. This is apparently causing nerve pinching resulting in the affect to my hand. It occurred after some minor back pain resulting from a bad sleep posture and while the back pain has gone the hand condition has not. I'm hesitant to undergo back surgery due to the risk of greater damage and ask if you could suggest any alternative options. Thank-you, XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
looks like you have cervical spine issue

Detailed Answer:
You must be having problem in cervical spine. It has to be C7 and not T7. You developed weakness in hand due to nerve pinching which indicates serious issue. This problem is mechanical. If you have pain only but no weakness then we always treat it with medicines and physio. However if you have weakness present then it indicates severe pressure on the nerve which needs to be decompressed. If possible please upload your mri report to understand your problem. Thanks.