MRI showed periventricular microvascular disease which could lead to subcortical dementia. Is there a treatment for this?

After an MRI, my doctor found that I have periventricular microvascular disease which could lead to subcortical dementia. Is there treatment for this?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 50 minutes later

Thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

MRI of the brain in most cases above the age of 60 years can show periventricular ischemic changes which are non-specific and carry no significance. Persons suffering from hypertension , diabetes, high cholesterol levels and who smoke are at higher risk of progressive periventricular ischemia. In the absence of these risk factors the chances of acquiring vascular dementia is less.

As you know prevention is better than cure, chances of microvascular disease can be reduced by avoiding the risk factors. People who are at risk of stroke can take aspirin or clopidogrel along with small dose of statins. At the present time there are no FDA-approved medications for prevention of vascular dementia.

My recommendation would be for you to reduce the risk by taking baby aspirin along with statins and control of vascular risk factors if present. I want to reassure you that the MRI changes does not predict the occurrence of future dementia. This is certainly not something that is to be worried at this point of time.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate.

If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.