MRI showed perineural cyst, neuroforaminal narrowing and disc osteophyte. What does this mean?

Nov 2013

Please explain the meaning of these terminology that was used in the results on an MRI on my C4-C5 and that is trying to understand why I am losing strength to my left (more) and my right (less) hands:
perineural cyst
right neuroforaminal narrowing
disc osteophyte abutting the cord
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 35 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

The MRI of your cervical spine shows two findings-

1. Perineural cyst- a fluid-filled lesion, around the nerve, causing compression on the cervical nerve.

2. Disc bulge causing compression of the nerve and spinal cord.

Both these abnormalities may contribute to the weakness of hands, as the cervical nerves arising the spinal cord are responsible for supplying the muscles of hands, arms and forearms. There are separate nerves for both hands.

Initial treatment is with physical therapy, exercises, traction, etc.

If the compression on the nerve or spinal cord is severe, surgery may be needed in some cases (about 10% of all cases).

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist