MRI showed paranasal sinuses and mastoid air cells are low in signal intensity on all pulse sequences. Meaning?

May 2014

I had an mri w/& w/o contrast & the results said the paranasal sinuses and mastoid air cells are low in signal intensity on all pulse sequences
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

This is Dr Vivek, a radiologist.

Clinically you have presented with migraine headache, slurred speech and dizzy spells.
You must have got your MRI scan brain (plain and contrast) for above problems.

In your report, its mentioned that paranasal sinuses and mastoids are showing low signal intensity in all pulse sequences and this seems to be worrying you.

Please don't worry about it.
In MRI, white areas are high signals and dark ones are low signals. Low signals in all pulse sequences means either there is air (which is normal and might hold good in your situation) or a remote and unlikely possibility may be that there's some protein XXXXXXX secretion.

I assume it is normal air filled paranasal sinuses and mastoid air cells that we are discussing about.

Please send across your complete report and I will explain if anything significant is included in it.
If your question is answered and you don't have any more questions, may I request you to please close the thread and post a feedback.

Dt Vivek