MRI showed multiple cervical lymph nodes in posterior cervical chain and parotid glands. Meaning?

ENT Specialist
i had a mri it showed mutiple cervical lymph nodes in the posterior cervical chain as well as within the parotid glands also minimal antral polyps more significant on the right than left and a probable right cerebellopontine angle arachnoid cyst with dimensions of at least 18 x 9 mm in size what dose this mean who should i see to find out more
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Posterior Triangle (Level V) lymph nodes are usually not considered significant, especially if they are sub-centimeter. The neck pain and stiffness may not be related to this.

2. The skin of the scalp, neck and shoulder along with lymphatics from the nasopharynx drain into these lymph nodes. These areas may be examined, and if they are clear, there is no cause for worry.

3. The Parotid lymph nodes drain a part of the face, nose sinuses and oral cavity.

4. You may get a USG (Ultrasound) done to document the nodes.

5. Minimal antral polyps do not require active treatment.

6. Asymptomatic arachnoid cysts do not require any treatment. The only predicament is that it is in the cerebellopontine angle on the right side and you have no hearing on the left. You may consult a Neurologist or a Neurotologist.

7. If you can share any Scan images, it may help in suggesting further management.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.