MRI showed multi lumbar disc lesions causing neural compromise. Have pain and back muscle spasm. What can be done?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2013
Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
hi, I injured my back during gym last april I did an mri and I have l3-4 central posterior disc herniation seen compressing the theca .. conclusion: multi lumbar disc lesions causing nueral compromise.... I took my time in resting just started getting back to the gym at the begging of july iam carfefull not to put pressure on my back and specially lefting any thing heavy or play sqauds or any free bar in the gym... and I also did physical theorapy ... anyway I still get feel small pain everynow and then just for a second but since yesterday I have a back muscle spasm hurts me on my right side in my back I kinda feel it with my hand and sometimes it hurts if I tool long breath...I took myolign so far 3 tables 1 every 8 hours and still there is pain.... how should I deal with that spasm? when I can play freely and left heavy weights in the gym again? and if I cant left any heavy back weights but still the back muscle spasm comes wht can I do and how can I play having it? thanks
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 22 minutes later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

As you have multilevel disc compressions along with neural compromise, you are not supposed to put any additional strain on your back musculature.

Few ways of dealing with the muscle spasm and pain are as follows -

* Physical rest by not indulging in activities like bending forwards
* Ice packing / cold compressions to immediately relieve the pain. Once acute pain subsides, then Hot fomentation (moist heat) is advisable to relieve the spasm.
* judicious use of muscle relaxant medicines and gels for local application
* Use of a back support or brace

You should give up weight lifting till your back is free of symptoms.

If the above measures fail to provide you pain relief, consult an orthopedic surgeon for further management.

Hope I have addressed your issues. Happy to help for any more clarification.

Follow-up: MRI showed multi lumbar disc lesions causing neural compromise. Have pain and back muscle spasm. What can be done? 6 minutes later
to be clear I don't have nerve pain issue and its the first time to have back muscle spasm in 15 days can I go to the gym if there is no nerve pain? and if I continued to go to the gym will I have a lot more of back muscle spasm? my last question what effective fast medicine should I take when I get the spasms

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 23 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX this is just to let you know that muscle spasm in the back generally occurs secondary to a nerve root irritation (though you may not have neuritic pain).

The muscle spasm needs rest to subside. Any more strain will make it worse. So I once again advice you to avoid going to gym till your back is free of symptoms.

There are many medications that effectively relieves muscle spasm. But as per the regulations of this website, I should not prescribe any medication.

Hope this information is helpful. Good day

Follow-up: MRI showed multi lumbar disc lesions causing neural compromise. Have pain and back muscle spasm. What can be done? 11 minutes later
u mean rest till the spasm is gone or rest till wht symptoms is gone? and how long either way? thanks

im gonna take danti relax comp. is it good and enough?

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 4 minutes later
Hi, I mean to say till your back muscle spasm is relieved. This may take anywhere around a week (hopefully).

Don't be in a hurry. Good luck