MRI showed moderate diffuse cerebral atrophy and small vessel disease. Any suggestion?

Nov 2013

The impression following a closed MRI of my brain with and without gadolinium enhancement says there is relatively symmetric diffuse cerebral atrophy which is moderate in degree. There are periventricular XXXXXXX white matter signal changes consistent with microangiopathic ischemia ("small vessel diease") which is mild in degree. Please explain, especially first sentence.
Posted Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

As per your MRI of brain, there are two findings reported:

1. Moderate diffuse cerebral atrophy- this refers to shrinkage of brain (decrease in brain size and volume). This occurs normally as one grows older and may not be of any clinical significance. However, if a person has memory loss, then, it could be a finding of Alzheimer's disease.

2. Small vessel disease- this refers to a loss of blood supply in a few areas of brain (small blood clots). These are common in people with diabetes or high BP. Treatment requires use of blood thinners such as aspirin. In addition, risk factors such as diabetes should be kept under control.

I hope it clarifies. I would be pleased to answer if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist