MRI showed mild to moderate multilevel degenerative changes in the cervical spine. Meaning?

Question
this is the impression of what my mri says, mild to moderate multilevel degenerative changes in th cervical spine resulting in varying degrees of bilateralneural foraminal narrowing and nerve root impingement cannot be excluded at the c5-c6 and c4-c5 levels. there are no areas of central canal stenosis or cord impingement. bascially what does that mean?
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rishma Lakhani 1 hour later

I would like to know what are the symptoms you were suffering from?

Basically spine has a central canal through which the spinal cord passes and two foramina/holes at both sides through which the nerves pass by.

Your MRI reports suggets that there are age related destructive changes in the spine due to which bilateral foramina/holes, through which the nerves pass by, are narrowed down/ stenosed due to which the nerves passing by are compressed.
But the central canal through which the spinal cord passes is fine, there is no stenosis seen there, and so the spinal cord is not compressed.

Dr.Rishma Lakhani

Follow-up: MRI showed mild to moderate multilevel degenerative changes in the cervical spine. Meaning? 7 hours later
I have numb & tingleness down my right arm & my right leg hurts constantly in the joints. my rght thumb & pointer finger is drawing up. my right knee also is swelled. i hurt constantly in my right shoulder blade too. I have always been a right side sleeper but cant do that anymore. I thought all this was being caused by my RA but my rhuematologist didnt think so & sent me to a nuerologist which had the MRI done. I dont go back to him til May 10th & with all my previous lower back problems, Im just scared. I am also a recovering addict where I had been on narcotic pain meds so long I couldnt quit on my own. With all my previous med problems, I wasnt sure if it would be more surgery or something that will fix itself. The pain though, is getting harder to deal with though & I dont want to be put back on the narcotics. Im already on cymbalta, gabapentin, baclophen, ibuprophen & Im at the maximum dosage on those meds.

Answered by Dr. Rishma Lakhani 3 hours later
I can understand the pain you are going through.

I would advise you to follow your doctor’s advice, as you are already taking many painkillers.

Don't worry, take care.

Dr. Rishma lakhani