MRI showed lesions in the cervical cord, no brainstem or cerebellar lesions. Meaning?

Nov 2013

I recently received this letter from my doctor following an mri scan. Please could you translate this into laymans language. "I note an MR scan of the brain revealed multiple areas of signal abnormality in a subcortical and periventriuclar distribution with two additional lesions in the cervical cord, no brainstem or cerebellar lesions"
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 minutes later
Thank you for posting your query.
Your MRI report is consistent with a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. However, the final diagnosis depends on clinical features and CSF oligoclonal bands, in addition to the MRI findings.
Treatment would involve using methylprednisolone (high dose steroid injections) in the acute phase and interferons later on for preventing future relapses.
I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My Website: WWW.WWWW.WW My blog:
Follow-up: MRI showed lesions in the cervical cord, no brainstem or cerebellar lesions. Meaning? 8 minutes later
Thank you for your prompt reply. I understand the scan results are consistent with an ms diagnosis however I was looking to actually see what 'signal abnormalites in a subcortical and periventricular distribution' mean? Also is the fact of lesions just on the cervical cord indicate ms? My neurological examination revealed nothing remarkable.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.
In spinal cord) are hyperintense (this is the signal change they are referring to), in contrast to normal (which is isointense). These findings are best seen on T2W and FLAIR sequences of the brain (where the affected areas appear whiter or brighter than the remaining normal brain). So, this signal change in the areas described are typically seen in MS.
Also, lesions in the cervical cord are also seen in MS, and are typical for MS.
I hope it clarifies.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)