MRI showed heterogeneous appearance to the bone marrow of the cervical spine. Meaning?

Pediatrician
Question
I had an MRI of the cervical spine due to burning and prickling in my neck, shoulder and arm.Part of the interpretation reads as follows:" There is heterogeneous appearance to the bone marrow of the cervical spine
on T1 and T2-weighted imaging.May reflect changes related to osteoporosis or incomplete fatty infiltration of
the bone marrow. However, a potential diffuse infiltrative process of the bone marrow cannot be excluded
and correlation with clinical history is recommended XXXXXXX
What does this all mean? Another MRI with contrast has been recommended. Is it necessary?t2-weighted imaging
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 2 hours later
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
I can undersatand your concern.
The MRI has put forward 3 possibilities for the finding.They are
1.Thinning of the bone due to lack of calcium in post menopausal women known as osteoporosis.
2. Increase in fat in the bone marrow of the disc.
3.Some sort of tissue infiltration due to disease or tumour.
Due to 3rd possibilty they have suggested a special MRI to pinpoint the diagnosis for better management of the case.
Consult your doctor if the problem persists.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.

Follow-up: MRI showed heterogeneous appearance to the bone marrow of the cervical spine. Meaning? 2 hours later
Would the MRI with contrast be definitive as to whether it was tissue infiltration due to disease or tumour? Or would more tests be necessary -such as a biopsy? And/or
would it tell for sure if what they are seeing is simply osteoporosis?

Your anxiety is justified.
MRI with contrast will give a better answer.Depending on that other tests will be recommended.
It is difficult to predict the outcome.Let the contrast study be done first.
Stay healthy.