MRI showed grade 3 tear central part of tosteroi and horn nedial. Should I go for surgery?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
my wife has got the mri done of her right leg yesterday.the mri report is GRADE THREE TEAR CENTRAL PART OF TOSTERIOR ,HORN NEDIAL,MENISCUC WITH MILD ESSUSION WITH EARLY QA CHANGES.
One doctor suggested SCOOPY .The other one who is traeating her for the last two years was agaist any type of surgery.As is is on a pain killer medicines we r very much confused .need your opinion wt to do.
She is 65 year old lives in India.she got small injury on her leg 3 years back.She was leading a normal life but for the last one month she has lot of pain and unable to walk.
Whether we should go for surgery , scoopy or any other way out pl suggest
email id YYYY@YYYY
Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later

First, I would like to tell you the indication for conservative and surgical treatment for meniscal tear, which will be helpful in decision making.

Nonsurgical treatment for meniscal tear may be suitable for asymptomatic tear, older patients who are willing to change their lifestyle, and those at risk for surgery.

Surgical intervention is recommended for those patients with a history of persistent pain, catching or locking, and a physical examination consistent with a meniscal tear.

So if your mother is symptomatic, having persistent pain, not responding to conservative management and if there is no surgical risk, go for arthroscopic removal of torn meniscus.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...
Dr. Saurabh Gupta