MRI showed diffusely hypointense bone marrow signal. Hand has uncontrolled movements. Any inputs?

My daughter just got the results of her Contrast enhanced and unenhanced MRI of the brain. I had her send me a copy of the results. Mostly normal except for ;Diffusely hypointense bone morrow signal...she is not anemic. States that this can also been in a morrow infiltrative process. He suggested she go to the cancer center for further follow up. This has all started with non use of her right hand of over a year ago. Surgeons ruled out carp tunnel sent her to therapy which made it worse and they stopped her therapy. Its like it has a mind of its own, uncontroled movements, or she tries to pick something up and it wont do it. She is 28. any input on further studys for her problem?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 1 hour later

Thanks for the query. I am happy to help you with your question.

Based on your description, I would think that a neurologist should be involved in your daughter's case. What you are describing is a problem with motor control. I agree that the MRI was a necessary test. There are however other tests that may be useful, such as electromyelographic studies, lumbar puncture or muscle biopsy. A good neurologist should be able to help guide your daughter.

The hypointense bone marrow signal should be followed up on, although this finding is by no means diagnostic of a marrow infiltrative process. What they are talking about is that marrow can be replaced or infiltrated by a number of disorders, including leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma, and metastases. On MRI, marrow infiltration causes abnormally low marrow signal intensity. This is what they are concerned about. But it does not explain the abnormal motor function, which is why you should consider consulting a neurologist.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.

Best regards,
Dr. Schwartz