MRI showed centhesopathic change at the superior patella at the insertion of the quadriceps tendon. Meaning?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi, I had a bad fall and fell on my kneecaps about 3 months ago. My MRI findings werer:
1. CEnthesopathic change at the superior patella at the insertion of the quadriceps tendon and there is also edema-like signal along the quadriceps continuation anterior to the patella. Mild reactive edema noted in the subjacent patella. Quad and patellar tendons are intact.

Grade 3 chondromalacia

Small joint fluid accumulation

Mild quad and patellar tendinopathy

My problem is I'm having a huge amount of burning and stinging in my knees. I saw my ortho last week, he basically said my knees should be healed and he doesn't know why they hurt. With the finding on my MRI, is it narmal to still be in pain. I still have swelling in one leg, but it doesn't hurt. Thank you
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms are due to Chondromalacia patella.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Your symptoms of burning & stinging in the knees is due to Chondromalacia of patella which implies softening of the cartilage of the knee cap. When this eroded patellar surface rubs against the femoral condyles during movements of the knee, it produces the typical symptoms.

The initial mode of treatment is non-surgical in the form of
* Analgesic medications - Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen and Naprosyn
* Physical therapy - in the form of Rehabilitation exercises to strengthen the quadriceps muscle and hamstrings.
* Ice packing of the knee joint after any physical activity might be helpful.
* Avoid involving in deep knee bending activities
* Should give up smoking, if you are a smoker
* Optimum body weight should be maintained
* Use of supplements like Glucosamine sulphate may help in the long run

If all the above measures fail to provide symptom relief, you may need surgical methods of management for chondromalacia patella.

Hope I have addressed your query. I welcome any more clarifications