MRI showed borderline right ventricle dilation and left ventricle has very minor mitral valve regurgitation. Is my heart healthy and sound?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I'm an ex professional basketball player who had a 6 beat run of NSVT during a stress test. Was ordered to have Cardiac CT scan and Cardiac MRI. The CT scan was clear and MRI showed borderline right ventricle dilation with 58% Ejection fraction with very minor tricuspid regurgitation. My left ventricle has very minor mitral valve regurgitation with 65% ejection fraction. Is my heart healthy and structurally sound?
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your heart is healthy.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Non-sustained ventricular tachycardia (NSVT) is an episode of ventricular tachycardia with a heart rate of at least 120 beats per minute, lasting for at least three beats and persisting less than 30 seconds. It may result in palpitations with or without light-headedness. Or it may not produce any symptoms and be found incidentally such as in your case.
It can, in some cases, indicate underlying heart problems which would be the reason for your investigations. However, your results are essentially normal. The normal range for an ejection fraction is approximately 50-65%. Therefore, your ejection fractions are normal. Although the other results are borderline, I do not consider you need to be worried by this. It does not mean you have an abnormal heart or that you have an increased risk of problems. These measurements are very slightly outside the normal range. If you are not having any symptoms related to your heart you can rest assured your heart is healthy. You may have been advised to have follow-up scans in the future and this advice would be normal management following these findings just to monitor the heart function.
I hope this has reassured you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,