Ask a Dentist   »  

MRI showed bilateral maxillary antral polypoidal thickening. What is this and do I need to do anything?

ENT Specialist
I have an MRI head scan back. No leison detected and the neurologist does not want to see me. However an additional note refers to 'bilateral maxillary antra polypoidal thickening'. What is this and do I need to do anything?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Bilateral maxillary antral polypoidal thickening is a common incidental finding which means that there is a thickening of the mucosa (internal lining) of the maxillary sinuses (between the eyes and teeth) on both sides.

2. Polypoidal thickening signifies inflammation due to chronic infection or allergy.

3. Mild polypoid thickening or mucus retention cysts require no treatment if there are no symptoms.

4. Mucosal thickening in the floor of the maxillary sinuses may be dental in origin as the roots of the upper teeth are in close contact with the floor of the maxillary sinuses.

5. MRI Scans cannot display bone which appears as a black shadow. Sinus CT Scans are the gold standard for sinuses since bone is visible on CT Scans.

6. In normal sinuses, the inner mucosal lining is so thin that it is not usually seen on the Sinus CT.

Hope this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.