MRI showed 2 cystic foci in ovary. Experiencing pain. Should I be concerned?

Yes please. A recent MRI shows 2 cystic foci in my right ovary. One measures 22 mm and another 20mm. Should I be concerned about these? I have been experiencing contraction-like pains for the past 3 months, which was the reason for the MRI.
I also have been told that there is a question of pelvic congestion syndrome and localized adenomyosis. My left ovary was unremarkable.

Thank you.
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later
Simple cysts in the ovary can be physiological. The two cystic foci found in your right ovary are not likely to cause the pelvic pain that you are having.
Normally ovaries are solid structures containing plenty of follicles which mature to release ovum. Sometimes in some people due to multiple reasons, the solid ovaries are studded with cysts. These cysts do vary in size with the hormonal changes during the cycle.
These are benign lesions and are not worrisome.
The cause of pain is more likely to be due to adenomyosis or pelvic congestion.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: MRI showed 2 cystic foci in ovary. Experiencing pain. Should I be concerned? 8 minutes later
I'm concerned that the cysts are solid and could be ovarian cancer. How can I be assured that they are not something more than just cysts? My gyn prescribed the pill which I have been taking for 2 months and the pain has almost completely subsided. But I know that ovarian cancer often does not cause pain (until it's too late). So I just want to know if I should follow those cysts with an Ultrasound or another MRI to make sure that they go away by next cycle?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
The cysts are not likely to be solid. To be sure, you can get serum CA 125 levels estimated. It is best to take the medicines as prescribed by your gynecologist and go for a follow up scan after the completion of treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.