MRI scan shows sigmond colon is redundant and tortuous with mild diverticulosis. Guide?

MRI shows the following : sigmond colon is redundant and tortuous with mild diverticulosis. Portion of transverse colon is located within the umbilical hernia. No bowel obstruction. Blood work has shown
potassium 5.5
alkaline phosphatase 144
For the past four months i get cramping in the upper and left side of the abdomen after meals which have become extreme for the past two months. I take stool softeners nightly because of pain meds from surgery.
What is causing the cramping? It has been bad enough lately i am thinking about going to ER. What can I do??
When I do have a bowel movement almost every other movement or so I can not pass it even with straining. I usually have to helping it out. It is almost like there is an extra space so that the stool stops before released or the rectum is not opening by itself with out assistance. What do i need to do?
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 8 hours later
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

Problems you are suffering from may be drug induced. Among the medications which you are taking Tab vesicare and tab Temazepam may lead to crampy abdominal pain, constipation. Please discuss regarding this with your treating doctor

As far as your colon is concerned, findings of tortuos and redundant sigmoid and mild diverticulosis with no sign of intestinal obstruction will not usually cause these symptoms

So in addition to above I will like to advise some antispasmodic with least anticholinergic side effects like drotaverine. Also see whether while taking levothyroxine have you achieved euthyroidism or not, if not then titrate dose accordingly.

One more thing which requires attention is elevation of SGPT, it may also be drug induced, so discuss again regarding this with your treating doctor.
However you still need to investigate for other causes for elevation of transaminase levels like:
1. Alcohol if you are taking then please avoid it
2. If you are obese or overweight you need to reduce your weight by dieting
3.Other common and treatable causes like Hepatitis B and C virus, XXXXXXX and SMA for autoimmune disease
4. Lipid profile and Ultrasound abdomen to see for liver echotexture

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon.