MRI scan shows memory loss. Suggest treatment

Nov 2013

Hi Sir,

This query is on behalf of my dad who seems to be showing some symptoms of memory loss. We recently did a MRI scan and obeservation reads memory loss.
Can you please advice . Please let me know if I can send an email to YYYY@YYYY with MRI scan attached.
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please send the MRI

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting in touch.
You may attach the MRI scan report here itself. However, if you can not, then, you may send to my email, and inform me on this site.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow-up: MRI scan shows memory loss. Suggest treatment 9 minutes later
Hello Dr ,

Thanks for your reply . I have attached the MRI scans here on this page.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you for uploading the MRI reports

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through the MRI brain reports.

The report shows features of brain ischemia (lack of blood flow to brain), which has resulted in many areas of infarcts (blood clots). This can lead to dementia (impairment of memory functions). This type of dementia is called vascular dementia.

In addition, he also has atrophy (shrinkage) of brain. This can occur in Alzheimer's disease, a form of degenerative dementia.

So, your father's MRI report shows features of both types of dementia (vascular and degenerative), a condition called as mixed dementia.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow-up: MRI scan shows memory loss. Suggest treatment 6 minutes later
Thanks for update Dr.

Is there any treatment recommended by or any advise to go forward

I did check your clinics sir, will let my parents come and visit you personally.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Good medicines are available

Detailed Answer:
Yes, there are good medicines available to treat dementia of both types. In addition, measures (medication and lifestyle related) may be taken to slow or stop the progression of the disease.

The exact nature and dose of medicines can be decided once I have seen the patient. So, please advise your parents to consult me in one of the clinics as per their convenience.

Hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. If there are no further queries, you may close the discussion and rate the interaction.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)