MRI scan shows Lumbar spondylosis. Suggest

Orthopaedic Surgeon
This is behalf of my mother, since 1week she was feeling pain in left leg then we went to physician and carried out all the test like LFT and sugar test LFT found within the range and sugar was 294(she is type 2 diabetic), then Doctor recommended for MRI scan and we done so the Impression of the report mentioned below. IMPRESSION. LUMBAR SPONDYLOSIS MINIMAL LUMBAR SCOLIOSISWITH CONVEXITY TOWARDS RIGHT DIFFUSE BULGE OF L4/5 DISC LEFT POSTEROLATERAL ANNULARTEAR OF L5/S1 DISC ARTHROPATHY OF L5/S1 FACETELJOINT ON LEFT SIDE NO OTHER SIGNIFICANT ABNORMALITY IS SEEN ON THE STUDY. and also she observed water pimples appearing on same leg. Kindly give me your expert view on this case, our home town doctor was prescribe some medicine for 10 day and asked to visit after ten days
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 40 hours later
Brief Answer: Disc prolapse. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The diffuse bulge of L4-L5 disc with annular tear are the age related degenerative changes of the spine causing the low back pain radiating to the leg. Since there is no nerve root compression right now, there is no need to worry. The treatment is done according to the severity of symptoms. Medicines are the first line treatment along with physiotherapy. If the patient responds well with medicines then physiotherapy helps in preventing further progression of the problem. Surgery is kept as a last resort to in severe nerve compression cases. The main treatment of such problem is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with her symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get these prescribed from her orthopedician. Right now she is taking only a pain killer- Nucoxia. Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. She can use analgesic gels like Volini gel. Exercise is not advisable in the times of acute pain. Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles. Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions. Discuss with her orthopedician and an appropriate treatment can be planned depending on the response to medical drugs. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.