MRI scan report shows posterior disc bulge with mild bilaterial nueral canal stenosis at L3/L4. Meaning. Treatment?

I've just had a MRI on my lower back after suffering from sciatic like symptoms.
Basically my reports read:-
I have posterior disc bulge with mild bilaterial nueral canal stenosis at L3/L4.
I have posterior disc bulge with moderate to severe bilateral neural canal stenosis at L4 / L5
I have posterior disc bulge with a small central posterior disc protrusion, dural sac indentation, moderate right neural canal stenosis and moderate to severe left neural canal stenosis at L5 / S1
Disc disiccation at T12/L1, L3/L4, L4/L5 and L5/S1

Any chance of any advice on the best course of action to take after receiving this report?
Appreciating your cooperation in this matter
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 30 minutes later
Thanks for the query
I understand your concern
I see 5-6 such cases per day. Please note that the management of these problems largely depends upon the clinical data rather than the MRI data. MRI generally overestimates these findings somehow and people are worried based upon the MRI data alone. You need a detailed clinical neurological examination. If the examination findings show that there are clinical signs of nerve root compression and conservative treatment has failed for 6-8 weeks, the options are surgical removal of that particular disc. If there are pains alone without any signs of nerve root compression or neurological deficits, you need medications like gabapentine, pregabaline and regular physiotherapy along with measure to avoid further disc herniation
Hope this clarifies your query
Please get back to me in case you have any other concern
Best wishes