MRI scan of back, can see shadow of spine. What does this mean?

Radiologist
Question
Hi, I have just had an MRI scan of my back and apparently there is a shadow on my spine. Can you tell me what this could be? Best and worst case scenarios please.
Posted Mon, 18 Jun 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Ranjeet Jagdale 6 hours later

If you can, please send me the MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) images and reports so that I can see it, provide you with the best, and worst case scenario.

You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: MRI scan of back, can see shadow of spine. What does this mean? 1 hour later
Hi thanks for getting back to me. I do not have access to the images yet. I am currently in hospital waiting for the report from the scan, but I wanted to know the typical reasons for shadowing on the spine please.

Answered by Dr. Ranjeet Jagdale 9 hours later

That is actually a vague question which can result in a generalized answer without conformity.

With the history of trauma six months back that you have provided the shadow in your back could be anything from a herniated disc to a small fractured fragment or thickening of the ligament (ligamentum flavum) in that region.

Whenever you get the images just send it across and would be happy to help you.

Hope u recover soon