MRI says tiny foci of T2 high signal intensity within periventricular matter. Is this Lupus? Will I be losing my intelligence?

Rheumatologist
Question
Todays MRI says innumerable tiny foci of T2 high signal intensity within periventricular matter and deep subcortical white matter bilat. in corona radiata and centrum semiovale. 59 year old female with lupus. Woke up with left arm asleep (not unusual) but was persistant and marked weakness for 20 minutes. Completely resolved by the next morning. No stroke on MRI. Have graduate degree. Is this lupus? More importantly, will I loose intelligence ?
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Lupus

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your query I would like to tell you that the MRI changes you mentioned can be because of lupus but it is not necessary that the present episode is due to these changes . It looks more like TIA since it has completely reversed . The findings in MRI may be due to vasculitic changes because of lupus because the changes are bilateral . This cannot be said if you will loose intelligence or not because it cannot be predicted as if now . I will suggest you to see a rheumatologist get your complement levels , ESR , CBC done to look for lupus activity and accordingly any treatment modification if required can be done . Take care. Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: MRI says tiny foci of T2 high signal intensity within periventricular matter. Is this Lupus? Will I be losing my intelligence? 2 days later
Thank you for your reply. It was so helpful. I have been looking online and did find an article in the Oxford Journal of Rheumatology that described MRI results like mine in CNS SLE. Is it possible that the intermittent tingling- crawling sensations that I get mostly in my legs but also arms and occasionally face and scalp are related to these white matter changes or is that my peripheral neuropathy? Once again I am glad you responded to me, you have been quite helpful.

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear madam, Thank you for reverting back . Yes the possibilty is more in favour of peripheral neuropathy but occaionally white matter changes can also result in that . So a nerve conduction velociy study can differentiate between the two. Take care. Dr. Shruti