MRI says straightening of lumbo-sacral spine. Treatment ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, my MRI study of lumbo-sacral spine says_
straightening of lumbo-sacral spine,
evidence of loss of normal signal intensity in L5/S1 I.V disc suggesting disc degeneration,
central & left paracentral prolapse of I.V disc at L5/S1 level caudal migration causing compression of left lateral neural foramina,
mid sagittal AP spinal canal dimensions at L5/S1......09 mm
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later
The findings of your MRI are suggestive of degenerative disc changes at lumbosacral junction- lower back. There is also mild compression of the foramina which might be causing nerve root compression symptoms like pins and needles sensation or shooting pains along the limbs.
Please do not worry. The progress of these degenerative changes can be retarded with proper treatment and physiotherapy.
You can chalk out the schedule best for you with the help of your orthopedician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: MRI says straightening of lumbo-sacral spine. Treatment ? 12 hours later
Hi Sir,
My orthopedician & physiotherapist, after going through my reports have advised me of going through a physiotherapy (half an hour) session for 20-25 days & assured me that everything will be o.k. after that. shall i now be rest assured ???
Both of the learned doctors have said that surgery is not required . I am very confused.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Physiotherapy usually takes care of the mild symptoms and retards the further progression of disease.
You can be reassured and follow the guidelines of your orthopedician.
Regular physiotherapy is a good alternative of surgery. If your symptoms are resolved then surgery can be avoided.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.