MRI saying straightening of lumbar curvature, diffuse disc bulge, nerve compression. Pain in the back, leg, groin area and penis. Are these related?

Neurologist, Surgical
my mri says i have:
1. straightening of lumbar curvature
2. Diffuse disc buldge at L3-4 & L4-5 causing indentation of thecal sac
3. broad based posterior protrusion with left paracentral extrusion causing compression of left traversing nerve root at L5-S1

I am experiencing pain in my left lower back, left buttock back, left leg, left groin area (feels like pain is at left testical and penis-- while sitting pain is felt more). Does left testical and penis pain is also due to above reasons only??? before MRI scan i had urine routine, urine culture, ultrasound and plain CT scan KUB which all came normal. The doctor advised me Tab. pregablin 75 mg BD, Tab. Amitryptiline 25mg HS and Tab Mecoba 500mg HS but still some times in a day i feel regular pain that lsats for hours and disappears and come again. Kindly suggest.
Posted Mon, 11 Jun 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 8 hours later

With available information, it is very unlikely that your testicular and penis pain is due to the disc lesion you have. But, sometimes, it could be due to diffuse pain which will be difficult to localize. As such, lumbar disc at that level does not cause pain in testicles and penis.

Consult Urologist for further evaluation.

Regarding your lumbar disc, extruded disc is indication of surgery if pain is persistent in spite of conservative management. Your current medications are fine, continue the same.

If the testicular pain subsides after disc surgery, we can establish the relation. Otherwise we need to investigate further.

Avoid sitting for long hours, bending forward and lifting heavy weight.

I hope, I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up query if any.

Follow-up: MRI saying straightening of lumbar curvature, diffuse disc bulge, nerve compression. Pain in the back, leg, groin area and penis. Are these related? 5 hours later
Sir I Already consulted the urologist before consulting a neurologist. The Urologist examined me physically, my urine routine and urine culture tests came normal. Also the Ultrasound and CT Scan Plain- KUB came normal. My ESR and CRP tests are also normal. one more test was done i.e Vit D Total which came -deficiency of Vit D. I experience pain in the groin area together with the pain in left leg and and lower back. the pain of lower back is felt like inflammation. Urologist says everything is fine and you are saying that this pain is not due to slip disc.... then why this pain is there? Pain is not more severe and continuous but it comes and go and is increased while sitting. Kindly Suggest
Answered by Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 18 hours later

Sorry for replying late.

I did not mention that the pain can't be due to a disc problem, but this is not the regular presentation of disc disease. As I told you before, sometimes diffuse pain can make you feel pain in other areas too. I wanted you to exclude the urological causes first, which you mentioned are normal.

You need to treat the disc first. Best option for you is surgery, if the pain is there in spite of medication. Groin pain may subside with that.

I hope this explains your query. I wish you a speedy recovery.