MRI revealed mildly atrophic pancreas. Provide information on seriousness?

Please provide information on mildly atrophic pancreas. I am 76 years old and it was revealed in an MRI done last week.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 44 minutes later

Atrophy is a term used to indicate wasting. In this context, mild atrophy just refers to mild wasting/ shrinking of pancreatic cells. It usually occurs due to mild chronic pancreatitis (usually due to chronic alcohol abuse) or diabetes or obesity. This is evaluated in association with the clinical symptoms and levels of pancreatic enzymes in the body.

If you do not have any clinically significant pancreatic enzyme deficiencies and you are asymptomatic then the MRI scan findings that you mentioned may not have any clinically important relevance at all.

You need further evaluation under care of your gastroenterologist to find out the cause if you have any troubling symptoms / enzyme deficiencies.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.