MRI report suggests slight tendinopathy involving the supraspinatus and mild acromioclavicular joint osteoarthritis. What does this mean?

Radiologist
Question
My mri says I have slight tendinopathy involving the supraspinatus and mild acromioclavicular joint osteoarthritis. what does this mean?
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 23 minutes later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
I have gone through your report. Tendanopathy is word used to describe partial or minimal changes in tendon of any muscle. These changes are due to repeated use and minor trauma. It different from rupture of fibres of tendon. In your case supraspinatous muscle has such changes.
AC joint arthritis is similar to any arthritis of joint like knee joint. It is usually age related. There are small bony spurs which is causing damage to tendon of supraspinatous muscle.
Shoulder is supported by 4 main muscles . Supraspinatous is one of them.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: MRI report suggests slight tendinopathy involving the supraspinatus and mild acromioclavicular joint osteoarthritis. What does this mean? 45 hours later
Yes I know that already. I had two shoulder surgeries and the first MRI said the same thing that this one said after the two surgeries. Plus I have a 4mm loose body and in constant pain. Is this treatable?

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 7 minutes later
Hi, welcome back.
Tendanopathy is treated by rest and physiotherapy only no need of operative procedure. Loose bodies needs to removed surgically. It is not treatable by medicine only. Could you mention indication and exact operating procedure of previous surgeries.

Regards.

Follow-up: MRI report suggests slight tendinopathy involving the supraspinatus and mild acromioclavicular joint osteoarthritis. What does this mean? 51 minutes later
Both surgeries was a decompression of the rotator cuff. I have been in therapy for the past 3 yrs and it hasn't helped. Have take cortisone injections and Ibuprofen and it is only a temporary fix. The pain is still there whether I'm sitting still or laying in the bed.

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 44 minutes later
Hi, welcome back.
There is no better treatment than decompression. You have already undergone the same. In this scenario pain is most likely due to loose body in joint. It may cause repetitive trauma to tendon.
You need to consult a shoulder specialist orthopaedician. .
There is one possibility of cervical spodylosis. It may present as shoulder pain in many patients. It needs to be ruled out before labelling everything to shoulder.

Hope I have answered your query.

Regards.