MRI report shows small old cerebellar infarcts. Should I be concerned?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
1st MRI w/o contrast result: Small cleft like focus of T2 prolongation right cerebellar hemisphere suspected to represent vascular cleft and not old infarction 2nd MRI w/contrast result: MRI shows small old cerebellar infarcts What should I be concerned about?
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer: I agree with 2nd MRI report. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX I agree with 2nd MRI report. Contrast MRI can differentiate between vascular cleft and old infarcts. It seems that infarcts is due to ischemic changes though report didn't mentioned about number of lesions.If it is more in number then its cause should be searched for.It may be due to hypertension.So,you need proper clinical examination and investigations. Investigations include routine hemogram,RBS,LFT,RFT,Lipid profile,Ultrasound of abdomen,ECG in all leads, Further investigations can be done if needed. Proper treatment can be done after clinical examination and investigation reports. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: MRI report shows small old cerebellar infarcts. Should I be concerned? 17 hours later
Thank you for the response. My labs and blood pressure were all normal. What should I ask my neurologist on my follow-up visit? What should I be concerned about with 'small old cerebellar infarcts?

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 14 hours later
Brief Answer: You should ask for other causes of infarcts. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query Probably MRI Brain was done for chronic headache.Findings of MRI is not related to headache. You should ask for cause of cerebellar infarcts to your neurologist. Mostly these ischemic changes are due to hypertension, altered lipid profile etc. These are normal in your case.So,other causes should be searched for. Other causes are vasculitis etc. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX