MRI report showed axial cystic lesion with mild gliosis. Taking encorate chrono, frisium. Concerned?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
In my MRI report it is came that there is 22* 16*24 mm non enhancing extra axial cystic lesion seen in right frontal region & anterior to sylvian fisure with mild gliosis of adjacent brain parenchyma- likely archnoid cyst. i m taking encorate chrono 300mg & frisium 5mg thrice a day as per doctors recomendation pls tell me for how long would i need to take these medicine & how it cud be cured
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your MRI brain findings do not suggest any serious brain disease.

Arachnoid cyst in the brain is an area filled with cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), and is often present from birth. It commonly leads to headaches and seizures (fits).

If you have fits due to the arachnoid cyst, you would require to take the fits medications (encorate chrono and frisium) for long term, even lifelong in some cases.

I hope it helps. I would be pleased to answer any follow up questions.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: MRI report showed axial cystic lesion with mild gliosis. Taking encorate chrono, frisium. Concerned? 31 minutes later
doctor,
As now i m getting married within couple of months so wud these medicines have any negative effects after marriage like during pregnancy etc. if yes then what wud be the solution for that so that i can save my married life as i cud not able to hide the problem & can these fits be cured by these medicines if taken regularly as u said that it is not a severe disease.
one more thing doctor i get the fits only once in one & a half year or even two years so what is ur view abt it

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 minutes later

Thank you for getting back and asking important questions.

I am glad that you have decided not to hide about your medical condition from your would-be. This is important as marriage depends on mutual trust.

Epilepsy amd medications do not adversely affect your married life at all. You can have normal sexual life.

Rgarding pregnancy, encorate chrono should be avoided, once you plan your pregnancy, and should be replaced with other medicines such as lamotrigine, levetiracetam, oxcarbazepine, etc. until then, you can continue the current drugs.

Your fits are well controlled with medicines, and hence the low frequency. This is a good news!

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: MRI report showed axial cystic lesion with mild gliosis. Taking encorate chrono, frisium. Concerned? 33 minutes later
u said the Epilepsy and medications do not adversely affect your married life at all. Am i Suffering from epilepsy type of disease??
& u did not answer whether these medicines will cure my disease or not??

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later
Thank you for getting back.

Fits is also called epilepsy, they are one and the same. However, in your case, epilepsy is due to arachnoid cyst. The medications you are using are anti-epileptic drugs.

Arachnoid cyst can not be cured, as it will remain forever. However, your fits will completely stop, if you take medications on a regular basis.

As I said earlier, there is no need to worry, and you can lead a completely normal life.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM