MRI report diagnosed postero-lateral disc herniations and secondary central stenosis at these levels. Meaning?

Spine Surgeon
Question
I have been disgonosed in MRI : postero-lateral disc herniationsat C5-C6, C6-C7 compressing the thecal sac, cord, & existing right C7 nerve root within neural foramen,There is secondary central stenosis at these levels... I just wanted to know in future would I lost mobility capacity? What precaution should I take in normal day to day activities and office work.. Pls suggest..
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Osteoporosis

Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 23 hours later
thank you for the querry.
I understand from your MRI ,you have multiple level cervical disc bulges. But the spinal cord appears otherwise normal except compression due to discs. Please let me know your pain pattern , weakness , walking disturbances if any to discuss further

regards

Follow-up: MRI report diagnosed postero-lateral disc herniations and secondary central stenosis at these levels. Meaning? 1 hour later
Sorry to say that my queries have not been answered properly I am not satisfied. I have pains in mid spine area in dorsal spine area,in lower back.Some times the mid spine pains comes into chest. If I stand for 10-15 minutes continuously pain gets increased.I was working 4 months back.Due to some personal problem I left job. These days generaly I stay in home, if I go out even for few hours pain gets increased. It gets increased with walking, standing.There are some kind of feelings of radicular pain, irritation, inflamation feelings in hands.I just want to know.. in future would I lost mobility capacity? What precaulamation in hands.tion should I take in normal day to day activities and office work.. Pls suggest

Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 7 hours later
thanks for getting back.
I have asked you to get back with details so that I could give a definite answer , so there is no reason why you should be unsatisfied as I am yet to answer.

Please understand I can not commend anything based on just MRI results alone and I always require clinical details of the patient to come to a clinical diagnosis which would result in a meaningful suggestions as I entirely rely on your detailed descriptions.

Now that you have given me the details, I can suggest the following

1.You have mid spine pain which comes to chest, so we are looking at a mid spine problem - at thoracic level, but the MRI you have taken confines to your neck region only, so I suggest you get xray of thoracic spine and MRI of thoracic spine to rule out any infection in that region as TB is quiet common in thoracic spine. As your pain is worsening please do it as early as possible.

2. Your hand symptoms are due to disc bulges in the neck and usually these symptoms improve between 3-6 months, if not surgery may be needed.
The precautions that you should take is to avoid strenuous activity, do not carry anything overhead, have neck movement physiotherapy.

3. If your thoracic spine MRI turns out to be normal then you may consult a chest /cardiac physician to rule out anyother problems related to heart and lungs

4.if your thoracic spine mri turns out to be normal, I can assure you, you would not lose your mobility
regards

Follow-up: MRI report diagnosed postero-lateral disc herniations and secondary central stenosis at these levels. Meaning? 14 hours later
Thanks doctor, I had taken MRI of dorsal spine also. Report showing :Impression : The findings are suggestive of posterior longitudinal ligament thickening at D5 to D7 level indenting the thecal sac without cord compression. A small cystin nodule is seen in right paraspine region at D4 level measuring 1.3 cmx0.6 cmx0.4cm in size. it does not show intraspinal extension. Incidentaly, degenerative changes are seen in cervical spine..
I have very high ESR(60) and Vitamin level in blood test gone down. please suggest.

Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 17 hours later
Ok
As your thoracic MRI does not show any infection, you need not worry about it. There seems to be a cyst which could be left alone.
Low vitamin D can cause bone pain and muscle pain, which needs to be addressed by taking calcium and vit D.
Since your ESR is high please check your rheumatoid factor as well
thank you