MRI of spine showing L4-L5 reveals diffuse posterior bulge with tear in the posterior annulus. What does it mean?

Neurologist, Surgical
Trying to figure out my MRI for whole spine... 1) Posterior osteophyte-disc complexes are noted at C6-7 level causing minimal indentation on the calsac?? 2) D3-4 & d11-12 DISCS reveal small posterio-central disc protrusions causing minimal indentation on the calsac? 3) L4-5 reveals diffuse posterior bulge with tear in the posterior annulus causing effacement of the epiduralfat & mild encroachment of the bilateral neural exit foraminae?? Pls make me understand this..
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 1 hour later
Brief Answer: MULTIPLE DISC PROLAPSES MILD Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I have gone through your medical history in detail including MRI reports Pain between shoulder blades ,especially in a young female with this MRI report, May I suggest you to, 1.Take some analgesic + muscle relaxants for about 2 your pain may be secondary to muscle spasm . 2. Your pain between shoulder blades looks to be nonspecific & looks unrelated to prolapsed disc as seen on MRI CERVICAL SPINE. mri findings may be incidental in your case . 3. Use some local analgesic gel over back for relief 4 . Take some rest if you are overbusy ,destress yourself . 5. Occasionally you may need some physiotherapy /infrared therapy/ ultrasonics for symptomatic relief . I hope this answers your query. Thanks, Dr XXXXXXX k XXXXXXX Director Deptt. of neurosurgery