MRI of my cervical spine showed disc desiccation at C5-C6. What does this mean?

Neurologist, Surgical
had MRI of my cervical spine and out of all the findings what does this one mean? "At C5-C6, there is disc desiccation, partial disc space collapse, and diffuse bulge that extends beyond reactive marginal endplate spur. there is mild to moderate canal narrowing. Disc bulge, uncinate and facet spur result in moderate C6 foraminal encroachment, greater on the right. There is mild to moderate enroachment of the lateral recesses of the canal?
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 3 hours later

Your MRI report describes the common degenerative changes. Desiccation happens due to loss of hydration in the disc which in turn loses it's elasticity causing the disc collapse. Later it bulges out which can cause foraminal narrowing.

If it presses on spinal cord or the nerve root arising from spinal cord, it causes radicular pain in particular area supplied by that nerve.

These are common age related generative changes happens in everyone. If it causes severe pain, it needs treatment.

Conservative treatment is the first option. You can be benefited with rest, medications like Pregabalin, neck exercises or physiotherapy.

I hope, this helps. I wish you speedy recovery.