MRI of lower back showed two bulging discs. Having pain in the neck. Suggest

Nov 2013

Im seing a pain mng specialist do to a roll over car accident three weeks ago i seen doc for first time last week he did an mri of lower back found two buldging discs wene i seen him i told him of lower back pain and neck pain i explained to him of the knots,tention,muscle spasms and pain i have in my neck wich also cause what i think are migran head aches.he told me he does nt treat migran head aches and that i have to see a nuroligist for that. I found that kinda weird because he is treating me for the spasms and neck pain with muscle relaxors and pain meds wich i will say are helping my lower back but not my neck at all. He gave me a shot of novican in my neck and it worked for that day but wore off before i woke up next ? Is why did he not do an mri of my neck i really feel something is wrong with my neck as i turn it,it sounds like there is sand in there and i also here and feel a poping noise.verry nervous about this.
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Thank you for posting your query.

I agree with you that you require MRI of the cervical spine. This would help in finding out the underlying reason for your symptoms, such as disc prolapse, compression of nerves in neck, etc.

For symptoms relief, you may take pregabalin capsules. Physiotherapy, including IFT/ultrasound would also help.

Regarding migraines, if they are frequent, taking preventive medications such as Topiramate or divalproex would be helpful. For relief of acute headaches, you may take diclofenac or rizatriptan tablets.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow-up: MRI of lower back showed two bulging discs. Having pain in the neck. Suggest 12 hours later
So im going to ask ur opinion about something else just ur opinion.before i seen my doctor or this accident ive been smoking pot sence i was 16 years of age i do not smoke daily but do use it a few times a week i do not feel im addicted to it i just like the way i feel wene useing it i have not used it sence i signed my contract and im ok with that being he has asked me not to take any other pain meds or mix amything with the meds that he is perscribing i see were he is coming from being that there are alot of people out there that abuse the doctors meds and dont take as prescribed. With the pain contracts u have to take reg urine test to make sure u are taking what is perscribed and taking it as directed so on my first visit i had to give him a urine sample i know that he has probaly seen the marajuana in my sample but that happened before i signed my contract i have been in pain sence he started me on the new meds they work for my lower back but not for my neck and i dont want ask him to change them because i do not want to be deamed an addict or a seeker of pills or a dealer i have never done any other drugs in my life other than marajuana not even prescribed pain killers i have huge soars on my feet for the past 15 years do to ecsama and have never asked for any kind of pain perscription for it it is painfull too work 10 or 12 hour days on my feet but i just deal with it but that is a different kind of pain.. I am verry proud of the fact that i have never used other drugs in my life and have never depended on anything other than my self before i have work two jobs sence i was 15 years of age i am a verry determend person who sets high goals for my self and acomplished alot in my life for example i baught my first house wene i was 25 i am verry proud of my self and i will be damned if i am labeled as one of those people. So my ? Hypatheticaly speaking if u were my doctor and had seen marajuana in my sample would you as my doctor deem me as one of those people i am scared to ask him to change my meds to something that will work better for me because of this your oppinion would be greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 39 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with a lot of details. I really admire you for being a nice and wonderful human being, as you have described.

I would not hold anything against you, even if I had seen the marijuana in the urine test, after you had told me everything, what you mentioned here. As your doctor, I would have listened to your request with a lot of respect and done everything to make you feel better.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Follow-up: MRI of lower back showed two bulging discs. Having pain in the neck. Suggest 7 hours later
I app ur opinion it means alot too coming from some one who has dedicated there life to his dreams and to jelping others live a healthier life i am going to just be honest and talk to my doctor and tell him everythhing that he should know about his patient to better help me im hoping that he is as understanding of a person as you are because i would like to get better as soon as possible i have a son on the way he is going to be a Jr and i would like to be as healthy as possible so i can be the father that my father was to me again thank you for giving me the confidence to be honest with my doctor:)!!!!
Thank you very much and my best wishes are with you!

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)