MRI of cervical spine showed heterogeneous bone marrow. Related to anemia or chronic renal disease?

Radiologist
Question
I had an MRI Cervical Spine. Findings were "The bone marrow is heterogeneous, this may be related to anemia or chronic renal disease, among other etiologies XXXXXXX I don't know what that means. When I saw my doctor, she referred me to a pain management doctor, whom I haven't seen yet.
It also said Degenerative disk disease at C5-6 and C6-7. Moderate to severe left foraminal stenosis at C5-6.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 3 hours later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.

In human body, there are two types of bone marrow, Red and yellow marrow. Red marrow has blood cells producing function and yellow marrow is quiescent one. In early ages of life, all bones have red marrow. However, as age increases most of it converts to yellow marrow. Only in flat bones like Ilium red marrow remains.

In some conditions like anemia where body needs more red blood cells, yellow marrow in vertebral bone is activated to produce cells, it is known as marrow conversion. It is absolutely a benign condition. MRI signals are related to this process.

Neural foraminal compromise at cervical level is due intervertebral disc prolapse or bulge. It is age related process. As there is significant symptoms, physiotherapy and analgesics are first line of management.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further concern, please let me know.

Regards.