MRI of brain showed ischemic foci and periventricular ischemic changes. What does it mean?

my father got done his MRI brain today, the impression in report says:1. few small sized ischemic foci in bilateral cerebral white matter. 2. mild periventricular ischemic changes .3. bilateral ethmoid sinusitis. he is 67 yrs old. height is 5'8" and weight is 75. plz can you tell me, what does that all mean? what things should be done to get everything ok?
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a cardiologist and read your question with diligence.
You can write in follow up query answer to any question which is necessary in interpretation of Magnet Resonance Imaging(MRI) Report, as report is not reported in isolation. First question is why was MRI advised by your doctor? These four- 2 in cerebral white matter and another two in peri-ventricular region -ischemic lesions can be due to emboli arising either from arteries from the neck or heart. Has your father ever suffered from heart attack. He needs echocardiography and echo-Doppler examination of Neck Vessels to me these appear atherosclerosis lesions. Does he have any neurological deficit for host of neurologist deficits can occur because of these and on the other hand these can be silent. Nonetheless, these are to be treated and preventive measures for further embolization of brain needs to be taken. Has he got lipid profile done, he appears slightly overweight. Depending upon lipid profile a suitable drug needs to be given,

Coming to fifth lesion ethmoid sinusitis, this and other lesion will produce headache and whether he has cough and post nasal drip with fever; a suitable treatment needs to be instituted.

If you have any follow up query I will be happy to answer. There are two places where you can show him either in PGI where mulispecialty (mainly cardiology and neurology specialist can see him). You can show him locally either to your family doctor or if you want to show him to me you will have to call 0000 for appointment which is usually given within 24 hours.

With Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW