MRI for fibroids, mildly heterogeneous, non specific marrow signal in the pelvic bones, proximal femurs. Serious?

I recently had an MRI for fibroids.....which came back ok...

however the last sentence said a mildly hetereogeneous but non specific marrow signal in the pelvic bones and proximal femurs.

No follow up for this was suggested as it was suggested as an incidental note.

The MRI was done with contrast... I am a healthy 33 year old woman with no history of illness
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 days later

First I apologies for the delay in getting an answer. And I thank you for being patient.

Please find the reply by Dr. Sangeet, XXXXXXX Consultant Orthopedician.

You can view Dr. Sangeet's profile here:
Thanks once again and regards

Please don't worry about it. These MRI changes are said to be non-specific.

However such heterogeneous changes can also occur with Osteomalacia (a bony disorder wherein the bone mineralization is reduced) or Transient Migratory Osteopenia (a not so common disorder of bone which can cause temporary MRI changes)

Both disorders aren't worrisome and are treatable.

So, I advise you to follow up with an Orthopaedician and have your serum Calcium, Phosphorous, ALP and Vitamin D levels checked.

I hope my answer is adequate and informative. If you have any further queries, I will be pleased to follow up.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: MRI for fibroids, mildly heterogeneous, non specific marrow signal in the pelvic bones, proximal femurs. Serious? 2 days later
I am worried that maybe it is Leukemia???? Does Leukemia show up like this on a mildy herterogenous non specific marrow signal in proximal femurs and pelvic bones?

I had a complete blood work about about 5 months ago and everything was normal and good....

the internet can be a terrible thing when you start seeking answers.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 20 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for writing back.

Your worry is justifiable. However leukemia shows uptake in various areas of the skeleton and your blood counts will be very high; which isn't. You will also have symptoms related to leukemia. So don't worry about Leukemia.

Instead get your Blood Calcium, Vitamin D and Phosphorous assessed. It might suggest the cause of lesion on the MRI.

In my opinion,it's only an incidental finding, which is nothing to be worried about. However, atmost the possibilities of Osteomalacia and migratory Osteoporosis has to be ruled out by an Orthopedician.

I hope your worries are alleviated by my response. For any other doubts I'll be available to follow you up.

Thank you and don't worry.

Wish you good health.