MRI finding states minimal tonsillar ectopia not in the range of a Chiari I malformation. Menaing?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
I recently had an MRI with and without contrast for complaints of headache, neck pain esp. in occipital region that radiates through back of head, and transient scalp tenderness that has been going on for 2 to 3 yrs. I am a 56 yr old female. I do have empty sella but I would like to know if I should be concerned about MRI finding that states minimal tonsillar ectopia not in the range of a Chiari I malformation. No measurements were given if that even makes a difference. The ordering neurologist did not seem too concerned with this finding. I am wondering if I should go for a second opinion. Any thoughts? Thank you Sincerely, XXXXX
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Minimal tonsil liar ectopia is not of any concern

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I would like to reassure you that your MRI finding of tonsillar ectopia is not of any concern and this finding can be ignored.

I routinely see these cases, and they remain asymptomatic without causing any problems.

If the tonsil herniates more, then, it can compress the lower brainstem and upper cervical spinal cord, causing symptoms, which would not happen in your case. Also, this finding is congenital, so, if you have remained symptom free till now, it is unlikely you would develop symptoms now.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: MRI finding states minimal tonsillar ectopia not in the range of a Chiari I malformation. Menaing? 3 hours later
How unusual is it for a 56 year old female to have giant cell arteritis, even if she has many of the symptoms?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is not uncommon.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back.

It is not uncommon to diagnose giant cell arteritis in a 56-year old.

The typical symptoms would be intermittent one-sided headache, especially in the temple region, in a person above 50 years of age.

Elevated ESR in the blood is a strong clue to the diagnosis.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar Md DM (Neurology)