MRI done on ankle. What does the report says? Should I go for surgery?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
i had an MRI done on my right ankle and it states the following: there is and Ill-defined focus of high signal in the subchondral bone of the medial aspect of the talor dome measuring approximately 1 x1 x0.8 CM. There is surrounding edema with the talus. no evidence of a losse or unstable osteochrondral fragment. Impression is osteochrondral lesion in the medial XXXXXXX dome. findings consistant with os trigonum syndrome what does this mean do i need surgery. Now on to the left ankle There is evidence of joint space irregularity with peripheral osteophyte formation and subarticular cyst formation involving the talonavicular joint. Also present is a large osteochondral defect involving the medial aspect of teh XXXXXXX dome, An osteochrondral fragment appears to be situated with the defect however it also appears to be somewhat fragmented. subarticular cysts are noted involving the medial aspect of the ankle joint. Do i need surgery on this as well and what will they do
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Both your ankle joints contain an extra piece of bone which are causing an inflammation around the ankle joint causing the edema and mild degenerative changes.
The main treatment of this condition involves-
1. Rest. It is important to stay off the injured foot to let the inflammation subside.
2.Immobilization. Often a walking boot is used to restrict ankle motion and allow the injured tissue to heal.
3.Ice. Swelling is decreased by applying a bag of ice covered with a thin towel to the affected area. Do not put ice directly against the skin.
4. Oral medication. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen, may be helpful in reducing the pain and inflammation.
5. Injections. Sometimes cortisone is injected into the area to reduce the inflammation and pain.
Surgery is only considered as the last option if the conservative treatment does not provide an adequate relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.