MRI done for constant headache. What does artifacts mean? Worried for brain tumor

Nov 2013

I had an MRI for a constant headache on my left side of my head. My doctor called and said we have to repeat the FLAIR test, but not the rest of the MRI ith contrast. He said that the FLAIR test wasn't conclusive and something about artifacts. What does this mean? I am worried it is a brain tumor as my mother just died of metastisized breast cancer to the brain.
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 53 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure that the chances of you having a brain tumor is negligible, based on what you have described.

Artifacts refer to seemingly abnormal findings on the MRI, which are actually normal. Artifacts result due to technical problems or patient movements while doing the MRI.

A tumor is very easily seen on the MRI. So, if you had a tumor in brain, it would have got picked up on the current MRI. However, it is better to be 100% sure, and that is the reason your doctor has called for repeating some parts of your MRI brain.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad