MRI done for checking injury in plantar facsia, achilles tendon intact. What advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had an MRI done to look for an injury in the plantar facsia from running. The radiologist stated that the plantar facsia was fine but said the following regarding the Achilles:

"The Achilles tendon is intact and demonstrates a rounded region of near fluid signal intensity at the medial border of the tendon occurring approximately 4 cm above the distal calcaneal attachment which may represent some minimal medial interstitial tearing."

One doctor told me I'll be fine and should just ice, rest, and go easy on the running. Another doctor wants to put in a walking cast/boot for 8 weeks and do no physical activity.

The pain is very minimum and has improved significantly in the past couple weeks (since the MRI).

Which advice should I follow?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The findings of your MRI are suggestive of minimal tear of some fibers of Achilles tendon. Since the pain and discomfort are minimal and there is no local swelling in the area, immobilization by walking cast or boot can be avoided. Without the cast, rest and ice will also bring the improvement in 8-10 weeks time.
If you opt to not to use the cast then using a crepe bandage on the area is advisable for good support and rest.
Meanwhile continue taking pain killers and anti inflammatory drugs as advised to you.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.