MRI done and it has indicated Acute intervertebral disc herniation and acute Schmorls node. Meaning?

Question
Hi Dr XXXXXXX
I have recently got an MRI done and it has indicated Acute intervertebral disc herniation/ acute Schmorls node along the inferior endplace of D6 with surrounding edematous changes.
Also, some Focal coniguous endplate irregularity is noted at D7-D8 level.

I am unable to interpret the same.
Could you explain how serious this is ?
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Before addressing your concerns l would like to have some information from you.
Why did you get the MRI of spine done?
Are you having some backache or any other symptoms like pain going down your legs or thighs?
Is here any history of injury on your back?
Are you overweight?
Have you consulted any doctor for this?
Are you receiving any treatment for it?
Are you taking medication for any other illness?
I would want you to please upload your MRI report and any other report so that I can see the entire report myself.
Thanks

Follow-up: MRI done and it has indicated Acute intervertebral disc herniation and acute Schmorls node. Meaning? 1 hour later

Thanks for your response.
Please find the answers to your queries:

Why did you get the MRI of spine done? (I had been having a shooting pain in the Dorsal Spine (Upper Middle Back) for the last 2 months). I had consulted a General Physician who suggested MRI. However, I got time to get the MRI done only yesterday.)

Are you having some backache or any other symptoms like pain going down your legs or thighs? (As informed, I did have backache which was shooting towards the left side. The pain aggravates in the night, and am unable to sleep due to this.)

Is here any history of injury on your back? (I had fallen from the stairs on my back when I was very young. At that time, the same portion of my back had been affected.)

Are you overweight? (No.)

Have you consulted any doctor for this? (I have consulted a General Physician, but have to show him the reports yet. Am also considering taking a second opinion from an Orthopedic.)

Are you receiving any treatment for it? (Not yet.)

Are you taking medication for any other illness? (No. I do have thyroid, but am not on medication.)

I would want you to please upload your MRI report and any other report so that I can see the entire report myself. (I have uploaded the report for your reference.)

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
The term Schmorl’s node refers to a small protrusion of intervertebral disc material through a defect in the vertebral endplate. Each vertebral body has an endplate on the top and the bottom. Each endplate surface is covered by a layer of cartilage overlying bone. A Schmorl’s Node can develop through a defect on the superior and/or the inferior endplate. Schmorl’s Nodes usually develop at a weakened area of bone, usually a site where small blood vessels penetrate the cartilage.

Schmorl’s Nodes have many different causes and predisposing factors. Any condition which increases susceptibility for disc material to herniate through an area of weakened area of bone and cartilage can result in a Schmorl’s Node.

Although pain associated with schmorl's node generally goes away in two weeks but since it has been there for past 2 months and is severe in intensity and shooting down your leg,it raises a suspicion that this may be a disc herniation.
You should immediately consult an orthopedician and more specifically a spine specialist.

The treatment of Schmorl's node consists of...
Physiotherapy with electric stimulation.
Oral VIT D and calcium,if deficiency is found

I assure you that nothing serious is there and every thing shall be all right soon.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks