MRI done. Diagnosed with microvascular ischemic disease in brain. Am I having spinal stenosis? Any advice?

My GP had MRI done do to dizziness, falling and balance and cooridation problems. I was diagnosed with Microvascular Ishemic Disease in brain. GP had me be on walker, physical therapy. I am 70 years old. Is this a serious disease and what should I expect as I also have spinal stenosis from problems in my neck. My doctor told me it cannot be reversed but slowed down by taking all my medication. What type of problems will I possibly see in the future. I only have slight dizziness now and have fairly good balance if I do not hurry. Will I have more of these dizzy balance problems in future. This event happened 9 weeks ago. Also was checked for inner ear problems but they were negative. Any advice you could give me to be aware of I would appreciate.
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 12 minutes later

Thanks for your query

Your GP has done a great job in investigating you for all the possible problems of dizziness in you. I would like to point out certain points about your current condition

1. It is a usual complication seen in your age group especially in diabetics and people with high cholesterol. It is irreverisble
2. It is the current cause for your dizziness, you are on appropriate treatment for the same so it is unlikely to progress further.
3. Drugs like betahistadine could be added if the dizziness worsens, please ask your doctor for a prescription before starting on them
4. Codeine could add to your dizziness. Pleas ask your GP for an alternative agent
5. Precautions you should take are to keep your sugars and cholesterol under check by regualrly following up with your GP, exercise regularly, avoid a high fat diet.

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further ones please accept my answer

I wish you good health

Follow-up: MRI done. Diagnosed with microvascular ischemic disease in brain. Am I having spinal stenosis? Any advice? 12 hours later
Thank you for the helpful information regarding my recent diagnose. I have many people tell me this is just part of aging and nothing to worry about, are they correct. Having already had a hemmorratic stroke 10 years ago, so I worry if this could cause another stroke or could I have an other episode of dizziness/balance problems. Is the spinal stenosis in my neck area causing some of my balance problems. Thank you any advice would be helpful as I am confused as one minute I worry this is serious and then I think it is nothing. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 9 hours later

Thanks for replying

They are right about it being a part of the ageing process however it is certainly a pathology for which you are on the right treatment for it.
Spinal stenosis of the neck can cause problems with balance if it is significantly steonosed but more than balancing issues you will have weakness and pain as major problems.

At this point I would like to tell you that your problems are being treated adequately to prevent further progress of the disease. Please follow the precautions I have given you and you will certainly do well. Do not miss your medications and appointments with your doctor

I wish you good health